Preventing Coronavirus Spread at the Workplace
One effective way of preventing coronavirus spread at the workplace is identifying where and how workers might be exposed to COVID-19 at work. Employers are responsible for providing a safe and healthy workplace according to the law. The main thing to do is conduct a thorough hazard assessment of the workplace to identify potential workplace hazards.
- Determine if workplace hazards are present, or are likely to be present, and determine what type of controls or PPE are needed for specific job duties.
- Employers are required by OSHA standards to determine what PPE is needed for their workers’ specific job duties.
- Select and provide appropriate PPE to the workers at no cost, and
- Train their workers on its correct use.
- Encourage workers to wear a cloth face covering at work if the hazard assessment has determined that they do not require PPE, such as a respirator or medical facemask for protection.
- Remind employees and customers that CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.